Junior Golf and Life Skills Programs at Golf Courses
Go Beyond the Putting Green
With more than 1,200 locations in the U.S. and several other countries, First Tee uses golf to teach youth ages 5 to 18 life lessons and leadership skills. Teaming up with experts in positive youth development, First Tee helps youth become good golfers and even better people.
A Youth Program Unlike Any Other
First Tee emphasizes Nine Core Values: honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy and judgment. Through golf and our core values, kids and teens will learn life skills including:
- Making proper introductions
- Managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
Advancing through the Program
From age 5 through 18, youth progress through levels by demonstrating First Tee Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level. The pinnacle of First Tee is completing Ace.
- Target (ages 5 and older) – An introduction to the First Tee Life Skills Experience.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee it up for the first time and learn the game of golf and First Tee’s Code of Conduct.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
The Power of Relationships
First Tee coaches are trained to create positive relationships that inspire kids to discover their individual potential. Our programs help kids and teens build confidence, develop respect and appreciate the value of giving back to their community all while learning the lifelong sport of golf.