When 2020 kicked off, we had so much to look forward to this year as a network. We set goals, made plans and had big dreams for the year ahead. Then March hit.
Like for many others, the pandemic has brought its fair share of challenges – cancelled events, programs and trainings – but with the help of a determined network, resilient participants and a focused mission, we remain steadfast in our effort to provide opportunities to empower youth to thrive. Afterall, it’s not always about the easy wins when everything goes as planned. What matters most is how we react when challenges arise and we face adversity.
Miriam Dumes, alumna from First Tee — Greater Houston put it best, “I learned that every challenge is to put me on my path and to test my talent with an opportunity for me to show my full potential. I learned to welcome new experience and challenges.”
In this season of thankfulness, we have an opportunity to evaluate what is important in our lives. Below are just a few things that we are incredibly thankful for in the year 2020.
- Our chapter leaders who were quick to provide new virtual and socially distant programming opportunities to keep kids engaged and ready to take on whatever challenges come their way.
- Parents and guardians who trust us as a partner committed to empowering their kids to be a better version of themselves every day.
- Our participants who show up smiling and living out their character strengths every day, despite a challenging year.
- A network that leaned in to hard and important conversations around racial injustice and the role we play as an organization to be a positive force for diversity, equity and inclusion for all who are involved in our program.
- Connecting with teachers in new and innovative ways to deliver our school program virtually.
- Partnering with PGA TOUR on launching Links to Learning as a resources for in home learning.
- Chapters returning to safe and socially distance in-person programs with support and guidelines backed by
- Expanding our impact through meaningful new programs like the First Tee College Scholarship Program and the announcement of the First Tee Leadership Summit in partnership with PGA TOUR Superstore.
- The opportunity to reach kids in new communities with the launch of chapters in Canada and Greater Lexington.
As we approach the end of the year, we encourage you to spend some time reflecting on the good things that have come from this year, whether its lessons learned, new experiences or changing perspectives.