Emma Laker, First Tee — Greater Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky
1. What does “showing up for others” mean to you?
Showing up for others means that you are there for someone when they need you. You show kindness by helping others and not just thinking of yourself. You give people the respect they deserve.
2. How do you show up for your friends?
I show up for my friends by being there when they need me. One of my friends lost her mom and just by being there made her feel better and that everything was going to be okay.
3. How do you show up for your family?
I show up for my family by helping out around the house and making it easier on my parents. I realize how hard they work so that we can go to a Catholic school. I show them how thankful I am by trying hard with my schoolwork and doing my best I can.
4. How do you show up for your community?
I show up for my community by serving at my church and helping at my school. I helped at the After School Program by helping kids with their homework. I also volunteer at the Brighton Center around Christmas time by donating to families in need.
5. How do you feel after helping others?
I feel amazing. I realize how extremely lucky and blessed I am to have all of the love and support of my family and friends. When I am helping others I feel like I am giving them some of my joy and happiness.
6. How do you mentally prepare to show up for your role (coach, student, parents etc)?
I show up for my role by being confident. I make sure that I have practiced as much as possible. I always make sure that I persevere and keep going no matter what. Whether good or bad I’ve tried my best and that’s all I can do.
7. What impact has it made on your life when someone has been there for you?
It shows me that I am surrounded by friends and family that love me no matter what. I can look up to my friends and family to help me through the rough times.
8. What does it feel like when someone is there for you?
It feels like I am loved. I have people who I can count on. It feels really good to have people in my life who can be there for me.
9. What have you learned through First Tee about showing up for others?
I have learned to use the core values. I have learned to respect others and my surroundings. I have also learned to use responsibility while on the golf course. Using the Core Values allows us to show up for others.